In 2012 I had the pleasure of reporting from The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc following The North Face athlete Jez Bragg around the course as he attempted to repeat his 2010 win. (Link to blog). In 2013 I'll be back but to attempt the CCC, a shorter version of the main event featuring a 100km route from Courmayer to Chamonix via Champex with 5950m of ascent

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Race Diary

 70 miles down on my successful Bob Graham Round

My ultra season is about to start leading right through to the CCC at the end of August. The endurance is  there after a winter season guiding in Scotland so I’ll be focusing on speed and technique drills and trying to stay injury free

March    Hardmoors 55 - A 55 mile trail ultra along the Cleveland Way from Guisborough to Helmsley. With copious amounts of snow in the area this sounds like it’s going to be a wee challenge as it follows exposed ridge lines throughout its length. www.hardmoors110.org.uk

April    I’m guiding in Greenland in April and early May. Good for the stamina and even some sprint training if I meet a Polar Bear!

May    A challenging 24 hours on our feet in the hills for my Antarctic expedition team. Details are still being finalised but with just over a year to go until we depart for the south we are aiming to push our limits as a team. I suspect they’ll be some tyre dragging! www.south2014.com

June    4 Seasons Fred Whitton - A spot of cross training. This classic sportive takes in six of the Lake Districts biggest and steepest passes.  112 miles in the saddle and no walking allowed. www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk

July     Celtman - In only it’s second year this event has already gained cult status. An ironman distance triathlon in the beautiful Torridon hills comprising a 3.8km swim in a chilly loch Sheildaig, a 202km bike ride on the highland roads and finishing off with a 42km fell run over Beinn Eighe  www.cxtri.com

July    Lakeland 100 - 103 miles of trail running around the Lake District. A great event but fingers crossed it’ll be third time lucky for me. Injury curtailed my 2011 attempt at 50 miles while I didn’t feel I could give 100% last year as the event was just three days before I was away guiding in Greenland. Surprisingly common sense caused my retirement at 75miles. www.lakeland100.com

August     The North Face CCC….

No comments:

Post a Comment