In 2012 I had the pleasure of reporting from The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc following The North Face athlete Jez Bragg around the course as he attempted to repeat his 2010 win. (Link to blog). In 2013 I'll be back but to attempt the CCC, a shorter version of the main event featuring a 100km route from Courmayer to Chamonix via Champex with 5950m of ascent

Thursday 22 August 2013

A unique approach to tapering!

Carstensz Pyramid

I've had an unusual build up to the CCC. My last significant run turned out to be the Lakeland 100, 38 hours on my feet in boiling sunshine and torrential rain. A few days later I headed off to Indonesia to guide on Carstensz Pyramid, the highest peak in Australasia and one of the seven continental summits. A seven day trek through the jungle in knee deep mud taxed already tired legs but spending a bit of time at altitudes around 4000m should have set me for the demands of running in the Alps. Back in the UK I've had the opportunity to wash the mud out of my ears and get in a couple of easy runs in an effort to get some speed back into my legs but the main thing is I'm injury free. I picked up a slight cold on the 51 hour journey home (6 flights) but that seems to have cleared up and the forced weight loss due to a diet of rice for 3 weeks means I'm nearly at my target racing weight :)

My 5th Seven Summit - Carstensz Pyramid

No comments:

Post a Comment